Mothers' Union was founded by Mary Sumner in Old Alresford Hampshire in 1876 and there has been a branch here at St. John's since 1892. There are now over four million members in 81 countries worldwide. Our purpose is to be specially concerned with all that strengthens and preserves marriage and Christian family life.
- To uphold Christ's teaching on the nature of marriage and promote its wider understanding.
- To encourage parents to bring up their children in the faith and life of the Church.
- To maintain a worldwide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service.
- To promote conditions in society favourable to stable family life and the protection of children.
- To help those whose family life has met with adversity.
We have a prayer chain for expectant mothers and children from birth to school leaving age which we constantly update with new church members, please speak to us if you have not yet requested your children to be included. We feel this is a very important ministry as children need to be held in prayer at every stage of life. We also provide the Travelling Crib at Christmas which brings much enjoyment. In outreach to the community we make up toilet bags for emergency hospital admissions.
We meet monthly in the St John's Church Hall at 2.30p.m. on the second Thursday, you are very welcome to come and join us. We have a varied programme, full details on our notice-board.
We are supportive of one another through all the joys and sadness in life.
For more information visit www.themothersunion.org